Research: Tram & Railroad Database

Code: 10
Corporate Name: East Texas & Gulf Railway
Folk Name:
Ownership: Lodwick Lumber Company
Years of Operation: 1917-1934
Track Type:
Standard Gauge Wooden Rails
Track Length: 14.6
Locations Served: Hicksbaugh Tyler
Counties of Operation: Tyler: from Hicks[baugh] thru Wurtzbaugh to Hyatt
Line Connections:
Track Information:
Tram Road Logging / Industrial Common Carrier Logging Camp
Equipment: Keeling lists the company seven rod locomotives and fifteen miles of track
History: Lodwick Lumber Company chartered the East Texas and Gulf Railway on August 1, 1917, to build a line through Hardin and Tyler counties. By October, 1917, the line connected the mill at Hicksbaugh to the Texas and New Orleans at Hyatt, a distance of about four miles. The railway was not built further and was abandoned in 1934, according to Reed. Yet Zlatkovich reports that the line was pushed more than fourteen miles in 1917 from Hicks to Wurtsbaugh. Five miles from Hicks to Hyatt was abandoned in 1918, six miles from Hicksbaugh to Wurtsbaugh was dropped in 1925, and the remaining three miles from Hyatt to Hicksbaugh was abandoned in 1934. Keeling lists the railway as owning seven rod locomotives and fifteen miles of track and the lumber company three rod locomtoives.