Research: Tram & Railroad Database

Code: 365
Corporate Name: Jeanes tram road
Folk Name:
Ownership: Jeanes tram road
Years of Operation: About 1915 to 1920
Track Type:
Standard Gauge Wooden Rails
Track Length: Unknown
Locations Served: North of Todd lk Grimes
Counties of Operation: Grimes and possibly Montgomery
Line Connections: International & Great Northern
Track Information:
Tram Road Logging / Industrial Common Carrier Logging Camp
Equipment: Tram engine
History: According to Waller County historians, E. L. Dyer had sawmills near Kickapoo Creek and then one about a mile and a half north of Todd before moving his mill to the Stoneham area in 1920. This mill was located north of Todd and west of the International & Great Northern tracks. Dyer built a one-room school beyond Huffman Springs and a large two and a half story house for himself between the school and the sawmill. Dyer and part of the community were members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Saints, for a Mormon congregation met in the Todd School, which E. L. Dyer had built. Both Dyer and Jeanes, of the Todd sawmill, logged in the same area. Dyer used oxen while Jeanes had a Shay engine.