Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: GR-9
Corporate Name: Cude and Dyer
Local Name:
Owner Name: Edgar G. Cude and E. L. Dyer
Location: About four miles from railroad near Buff Lake
County: Grimes
Years in Operation: 11 years
Start Year: 1904
End Year: 1914
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919
Period of Operation: 1904 to about 1914
Town: Near Buff Lake
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Probably steam.
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 12000: 190410000: 1906
Capacity Comments: 12,000 feet daily in 1904 and 10,000 feet in 1906
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planer
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: International & Great Northern
Historicial Development: This mill was an E. L. Dyer and Cude sawmill. The Santa Fe System Circular No. 2090 of 1904 noted the mill, and the “Lumber Mills of Texas” article in the Southern Industrial and Lumber Review, of September 1906, reported the mill was cutting 10,000 feet daily. E. L. Dyer operated a series of mills in Grimes County. His normal pattern of settlement included a company town for the workers and a commissary.
Research Date: JKG 8-20-93, MCJ 03-04-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson