Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: GR-41
Corporate Name: Tri County Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Ephraim Keisler and J. T. Keisler. Later Mr. Daniels. Tri County Lumber Company
Location: Keisler's Spur, north of Richards
County: Grimes
Years in Operation: 6 years
Start Year: 1913
End Year: 1918
Decades: 1910-1919
Period of Operation: About 1913 to 19118
Town: Keisler's Spur, north of Richards
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 100 in 1934
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Probably steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill. Daniels: band.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Trinity & Brazos Valley
Historicial Development: Ephraim Keisler, brother of J. T. Keisler, built a sawmill at Richards about 1910. The mill was north about a mile from Richards, located on the railroad tracks. The company loading docks became known as Keisler's Spur when the railroad built a line to the docks. In 1916, known as the Tri County Lumber Company, the firm, through J. T. Keisler, sold $2,500 of lumber located at Keisler Spur on the Trinity & Brazos Valley to S. F. Carter and J. L. Tyron. After several years, a Mr. Daniels bought the mill and enlarged operations, including the laying of a tram line to Sandy and north of present-day Highway 30. Daniels used steam locomotives to pull the timber to the mill. The tram road was the only connection to Richards, and all members of the community, which included about fifteen tenant homes and a commissary, rode the railway to Richards.
Research Date: MCJ 03-06-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson