Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: MO-164
Corporate Name: L& M Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: L& M Lumber Company
Location: Willis
County: Montgomery
Years in Operation: 32 years
Start Year: 1956
End Year: 1987
Decades: 1950-1959,1960-1969,1970-1979,1980-1989
Period of Operation: Before 1956 to about 1987
Town: Willis
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Studs, kiln dried lumber, upper grades, long dimension, flooring, lath, roof decking.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Steam and electric
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 20000: 195850000: 196045000: 196635000: 1973
Capacity Comments: 20,000 feet daily in 1958. 50,000 feet daily in 1960; 45,000 feet daily in 1966; and 35,000 feet in 1973.
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Circular, barker, gang, chipper, planer, edger. 1987: Sawmill with a scragg and chipper.
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Missouri Pacific
Historicial Development: The Texas Forest News credited L & M Lumber Company with being the first Texas sawmill to use debarking and chipping facilities, sometime before 1956. In 1957, the L & M Lumber Company employed thirty-five employees. The Gulf Coast Lumberman reported in 1958 that the mill was cutting 20,000 feet daily and was installing a pressure treating plant. The sawmill cut 13,545,013 board feet in 1960. In 1966, the mill worked with southern pine and did some wood preserving. The mill employed fifty-five persons in 1973, and cut mostly slash pine. In 1975, J. F. Muller served on the Executive Committee of the Texas Lumber Manufacturers Association.
Research Date: JKG 12-9-93, MCJ 03-20-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson