Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: AG-27
Corporate Name: Durant Lumber Company
Local Name: Durant
Owner Name: Durant Lumber Company. Arch Caraway. Louie C. Odum. Tilford-Hunt Lumber Company. Glena Lumber Company.
Location: Durant, near Clawson, intersection of 19 and 21 at railroad tracks
County: Angelina
Years in Operation: 20 years
Start Year: 1909
End Year: 1928
Decades: 1900-1909,1910-1919,1920-1929
Period of Operation: 1909 to 1928
Town: Durant
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: 200 in 1905, 25 in 1920
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and finished pine and hardwoods with 40% tie production
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 40000: 191530000: 1928
Capacity Comments: 40,000 feet daily in 1915, 30,000 feet daily in 1928.
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill and planing mill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: St. Louis Southwestern (Cotton Belt)
Historicial Development: This sawmill town went by the name of Durant. The same sawmill was represented at different times by Louie Odum, Arch Carraway, the Tilford-Hunt Lumber Company, and the Glena Lumber Company. The mill opened about 1909, and the area was named Durant about the time it received a post office in October 1909. Louie C. Odum was the first post master. He operated his mill until 1913 when he sold out to Arch Caraway of Nacogdoches County. Caraway contracted the sawmill cut to the Tilford-Hunt Lumber Company of Nacogdoches; the latter never had its own mill at or near the town. Louie C. Odum, doing business as the Glena Lumber Company at Durant, regained control of the mill before 1918 but continued to sell the sawmill cut to Tilford-Hunt Lumber. The Durant Lumber Company was listed in the Southern Lumberman's 1928 directory of sawmills under a Lufkin heading.
Research Date: JKG 12-8-93, MCJ 12-04-95
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson