Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: HA-77
Corporate Name: L. P. Sawyer and J. W. Suggs
Local Name: Post Mills
Owner Name: L. P. Sawyer and J. W. Suggs. P. C. Post
Location: Ten miles southwest of Marshall
County: Harrison
Years in Operation: 1 year
Start Year: 1896
End Year: 1896
Decades: 1890-1899
Period of Operation: 1896
Town: Southeast of Marshall
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: P. C. Post's prior mill to the one at Hallsville (later 1890s to about 1910) was located about ten miles southwest of Marshall. Post sold it to Sawyer & Suggs on April 7, 1906. The mill was on land owned by Dr. E. B. Blalock, near the Sabine River. Four months after buying the mill, Sawyer & Suggs mortgaged to Dr. J. H. Pope the following equipment: eighteen oxen, four mules, two horses, three log wagons, a far wagon, four sows, the sawmill with boiler and steam engine, an edger, and blacksmith tools. S&S signed with J. W. Ogburn Lumber Company in 1906 to provide Ogburn with their cut for the following twelve months.
Research Date: MCJ 02-05-96
Prepared By: M Johnson