Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: PK-77
Corporate Name: Leggett Lumber Company, Inc.
Local Name:
Owner Name: Leggett Lumber Company, Inc. George Bass (1987); L.K. Walker, president; N.G. Atchley, manager; J. C. Boettcher (1967); Ed Boettcher (earlier). Offices in Livingston in 1967.
Location: Livingston with mill near Leggett at Box 325
County: Polk
Years in Operation: 51 years
Start Year: 1946
End Year: 1996
Decades: 1940-1949,1950-1959,1960-1969,1970-1979,1980-1989,1990-1999
Period of Operation: 1946 to 1996
Town: Livingston
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: 2,865 in 1950
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: In 1961, all pine lumber. In 1966, green dimension, long dimension, timbers, piling, and flooring.
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Diesel (1947), Gas (1961), Electric (1966)
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 50000: 1960
Capacity Comments: From 50,000 to 60,000 feet daily
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: In 1947, a circular sawmill; in 1961, a circular and gang; in 1966, a barker, gang, chipper, edger
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: The Leggett Lumber Company had been operating a sawmill near Leggett, outside of Livingston, since at least 1947, when it was mentioned in The Gulf Coast Lumberman that year. The executive leadership was a Boettcher family interest before 1970. In 1947, the company installed a diesel-powered engine that ran the sawmill, a blower, and other accessory equipment. The mill also had a diesel-powered portable sawmill rig. In 1962, the company joined the Texas Lumber Manufacturers Association. From 1966 to about 1972, the company employed at least seventy workers. The Boettchers either sold their interests or retired, permitting others to run the mill. Other management individuals included Roy Maxwell, sawmill superintendent and Acey Fleetwood, head filer. In 1973, the mill produced 26.6 million board feet. The mill operated until at least 1987, for it was listed in the 1987 Directory of Forest Products Industries In Texas. The Boettchers had owned a mill at Westfield from about 1905 to at least 1934, and a mill at Huntsville from 1929 to 1969. The Huntsville was the last of the old-time company towns.
Research Date: JKG 12-9-93, MCJ 02-27-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M. Johnson