Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: RU-1
Corporate Name: Dealy Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Dealy Lumber Company
Location: Hendrick's Lake: northeast end of Highway 2221D
County: Rusk
Years in Operation: 5 years
Start Year: 1899
End Year: 1903
Decades: 1890-1899,1900-1909
Period of Operation: 1899 to 1903
Town: Hendrick Lake
Company Town: 1
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: 75-horsepower steam engine
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 40000: 1902
Capacity Comments: 40,000 feet daily
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill, dry kilns
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Two-mile company tram linking the Trinity and Sabine Valley Railroad (later the Texas and Gulf) to the mill at Hendrick's Lake
Historicial Development: After buying land near Hendrick's Lake for a sawmill, Charles Dealy of Dallas, Texas, president of Dealy Lumber Company, bought in 1900 land adjacent to the Trinity and Sabine Valley Railroad and on the Flanagan property. Here he built a very large planing mill to finish the lumber milled by the sawmill at the Lake. A two-mile tram road connected the mill at Hendrick's Lake to Flanagan. Sawmill equipment at Hendrick's Lake included 44-inch by 14-foot boiler, a 60/16 100-horsepower steam engine, edgers, trimmers, a Fisher & Davis No. 3 Right-hand sawmill, a Shay engine and three logging cars and ten lumber cars, a commissary, tenant houses, a boarding house, and a mule corral.
Research Date: JKG 11-8-93, MCJ 04-15-96
Prepared By: J. Gerland, M Johnson