Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: HD-20
Corporate Name: David J. Williams
Local Name:
Owner Name: David J. Williams, Sr. T. J. Ridley & William R. McCarty.
Location: North of Kountze
County: Hardin
Years in Operation: 6 years
Start Year: 1881
End Year: 1886
Decades: 1880-1889
Period of Operation: 1880s
Town: North of Kountze
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Probably steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Sabine and East Texas (Texas and New Orleans)
Historicial Development: The Beaumont Journal, September 17, 1881, reported that McCarty and Ridley were building a sawmill at Kountze. By the next year, McCarty had moved north to become the first sawmiller and postmaster at Hillister. David J. Williams, Sr., owned the mill by 1886. The hurricane of October 12, 1886, destroyed the mill; it was not rebuilt. The hurricane of 1886 wreaked disaster throughout the lower end of East Texas. The communities of Sabine Pass, Texas, and Johnson's Bayou, Louisiana, were completely leveled. Almost two hundred people drowned in the two communities. Williams relocated his sawmilling activity at Summit.
Research Date: MCJ 03-13-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson