Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: SH-55
Corporate Name: Dick Griffin Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Dick Griffin Lumber Company
Location: Center with main office at Patroon
County: Shelby
Years in Operation: 19 years
Start Year: 1940
End Year: 1958
Decades: 1940-1949,1950-1959
Period of Operation: 1940 to 1958
Town: Center
Company Town: 0
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Rough and green pine and hardwood lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Unknown
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 
Capacity Comments: Unknown
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: Unknown
Historicial Development: The Dick Griffin Lumber Company at Center appeared in the 1957 edition of Nelson T. Samson's Directory of Wood-Using and Related Industries in East Texas. Dick Griffin Lumber Company was listed in the Directory of Texas Manufacturers, 1956-1958. Established as a sole proprietorship in 1940, the firm produced rough and green lumber with less than twenty-five workers. The company's main office was located at Patroon. Dick Griffin Lumber Company had a sawmill at Patroon, according to The History of Shelby County. Tom Hitt worked for Griffin in the 1940s.
Research Date: MCJ 02-29-96
Prepared By: M. Johnson