Research: Sawmill Database

Alpha-Numeric Key: AG-8
Corporate Name: Daniel Lumber Company
Local Name:
Owner Name: Daniel Lumber Company with William Fleming Daniel and Awtrey Fleming Daniel
Location: Chancy Switch, south end east of intersection of highways 48 and 49
County: Angelina
Years in Operation: 5 years
Start Year: 1919
End Year: 1923
Decades: 1910-1919,1920-1929
Period of Operation: 1919 to 1923
Town: Chancy Switch, west of Lufkin
Company Town: 2
Peak Town Size: Unknown
Mill Pond:
Type of Mill: Lumber
Sawmill Pine Sawmill Hardwood Sawmill Cypress Sawmill
Planer Planer Only Shingle Paper
Plywood Cotton Grist Unknown
Power Source: Steam
Horse Mule Oxen Water
Water Overshot Water Turbine Diesel Unknown
Pit Steam Steam Circular Steam Band
Gas Electricity Other
Maximum Capacity: 40000
Capacity Comments: Estimated 40,000 feet daily
Rough Lumber Planed Lumber Crossties Timbers
Lathe Ceiling Unknown Beading
Flooring Paper Plywood Particle Board
Treated Other
Equipment: Sawmill
Company Tram:
Associated Railroads: East Texas Railroad Company, the shortline of the 4-C Mill at Kennard in Houston County, connecting to Lufkin
Historicial Development: Family archives and county records clearly reflect that the sawmill plant that Mr. Aldridge remembers is that of the Daniel Lumber Company, owned and operated by William Fleming Daniel and his son Awtrey Fleming Daniel, both of Cushing. Establishing offices at Clawson, in 1919, Awtrey Daniel ordered steam boilers from Geo Dilley & Son of Palestine and purchased thousands of acres of stumpage in Angelina County from Foster Lumber Company and Angelina County Lumber Company. Eastern Texas Railroad Company gave a track agreement to Daniel Lumber Company, July 23, 1919, to erect and operate a 483' spur at Chancy Switch to serve the Daniel Lumber sawmill and plant. The mill was soon in action. From July to December, 1919, the Daniel Lumber Company sold, over Awtrey Daniel's signature, thousands of dollars worth of lumber to the Tilford-Hunt Lumber Company of Nacogdoches. The Stone Fort National Bank released its lien against Awtrey Fleming Daniel and the Daniel Lumber Company sawmill at Clawson in 1920. Daniel Lumber Company exported lumber to C. R. Presnell Lumber Company of East St. Louis. After cutting out in 1923, the Daniel Lumber Company moved its operations to Crockett, in Houston County.
Research Date: MCJ 12-04-95
Prepared By: M. Johnson